Today I made these super easy bulletin boards for my new studio/sewing room to be ...... eventually! They are planned to be used to hold inspiration, patterns, reminders to myself etc.
My daughter was home for a visit so she was my "personal assistant" and we made them all in about an hour! They are made from circular cork trivets available at the dollar store. You can easily insert push pins into them to use in any room in the house. I used mostly batiks to cover them with vivid saturation because I plan on having a very happy and colourful studio.
I think that these would also be awesome in a baby's room in baby friendly colours, in your kitchen as a recipe/message board, in a teenage bedroom and child's playroom etc. I'm sure you can picture the versatility of this project!
I will share with you how I made them below:
What you will need:
Cork trivets ( 7" diameter and approx. 1/4" thick) - As many as you think you need
Fabric in colours that inspire you
A hot glue gun and glue sticks
How to make them:
1. Iron your fabric to get all wrinkles out ( you can use the recipe from my Jan 11 blog post to make spray starch!)
2. Lay your trivet onto the wrong side of the fabric and cut around it leaving about 1 and 1/2" of excess fabric to upholster your cork
3. Fire up that glue gun!
4. Wrap the fabric to the back of your trivet while placing glue very close to the edge, run a bead of glue about 2" at a time and wrap your fabric firmly to avoid wrinkles, a "personal assistant" is also helpful at this stage
5. Once you have glued and upholstered the entire circle, you can trim away the excess fabric on the back of the bulletin board
6. Attach a hanging loop with wool or thick thread to the back (suggested) and hang on a small nail in your space!
Voila you have beautiful and easy bulletin boards!
I hope you will try this and add some new colour to your home.
A,,, accu, fabricWelcome!
Hi I'm Robin and I am a professional long arm quilter, pattern designer and teacher. I am passionate about all things quilty!
This blog contains affiliate links. This means that we endorse products.
We do receive rewards for these endorsements and this helps to keep this site alive and well.
We support products which we believe are the best quality and to inspire your creativity!