Last week I worked on my new pattern "Sew n'Travel Totes" and got to thinking about a DIY zipper pulls and of course I have hexies on my mind all the time!
So I came up with this idea and they take about 20 minutes to complete and are super inexpensive.
This is what you will need:
Thread and needle, a thin hair elastic (cheap ones at the dollar store are ideal), 2 hexi patterns traced onto card stock -1" size, 2 pieces of fabric, an iron, a thin crochet hook, a sewing machine and a bag/tote with a zipper to put it on.
How to make it:
1) Cut hexi fabric out 1/4” bigger than card stock all the way around.
2. Fold the fabric around all edges of both fabrics and sew EPP (english paper piecing style), if you don’t know how to do this check out my recent blog post about EPP here
3. You should have 2 EPP hexies
4. Press them but do not remove the paper
5. Remove the basting stitches and press once more
6. Place them wrong sides together with a hair elastic placed between both hexies centred on a flat side
7. Hand slip stitch all around the edges to hold both hexies together and to sandwich the hair elastic in between both hexies.
8. Once all slip stitching is done, place your 1/4” foot on your sewing machine and sew 1/8" all around the hexi, starting before the elastic and ending after the elastic so that you have top stitched all the way around and gone over the elastic twice.
9. Use a thin crochet hook to pull the elastic through the hole in the zipper tab and loop it in place on the zipper tab.
10. Admire your efforts!
Can you just imagine the other EPP shapes you could do this with? The possibilities are endless!
Note: This is part 1- there are 2 more easy DIY zipper pulls, come back and visit this blog the next 2 tuesdays. I'm having fun with zipper pulls!
Have a great Tuesday!❤️☀️
Hi I'm Robin and I am a professional long arm quilter, pattern designer and teacher. I am passionate about all things quilty!
This blog contains affiliate links. This means that we endorse products.
We do receive rewards for these endorsements and this helps to keep this site alive and well.
We support products which we believe are the best quality and to inspire your creativity!