Hold aloft to us the lowly Tuna Can!
Todays Tuesdy Technique is kind of crafty!
You can make a pretty & practical pin cushion from a tuna can - Who knew?
You will need:
How to make it:
( Looks like a lot of steps but really it's a 1/2 hour project tops!)
1. Fold your sleeve fabric in 1/2 on the long side & press it.
2. Fold each side toward the centre fold you just made as if you were making the straps for a purse.
3. Unfold it.
4. Bring the short sides together right sides together and sew a 1/4" seam to make a tube.
5. Finger press the seam open and fold one side down on the fold and then the other side.
6. Fold it once more from the centre enclosing the raw edges.
7. Audition it on your tuna can, it should fit snuggly.
8. Top stitch it!
9. Place it back on the tuna can and dab a little glue under it to secure it in place.
10. Glue rick rack on the under side of the top of the tuna can.
11. Place your stuffing on the wrong side in the middle of your pin cushion fabric and gather it tightly with your hand.
12. Sew it to gather it tight.
13. Put some glue in the bottom of the can & then stuff your gathered fabric into the tuna can base.
... And there you have it, a very sturdy, large and practical pin cushion made from a recycled, reused and repurposed tuna can. I can't wait to make more!
Happy Tuesday, I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and will make use of your tuna cans in the future! 😊😛
Hi I'm Robin and I am a professional long arm quilter, pattern designer and teacher. I am passionate about all things quilty!
This blog contains affiliate links. This means that we endorse products.
We do receive rewards for these endorsements and this helps to keep this site alive and well.
We support products which we believe are the best quality and to inspire your creativity!