I know I have talked about easy flying geese methods before but I discovered these amazing rulers and I know they have been around for a long time. In fact one was in my stash of rulers unopened for about 5 years now. I do not know why and will blame my QADD on it (Quilters Attention Deficit Disorder) LOL!
The reason I love this ruler after finally getting it out and trying it is.
5. It is so accurate with consistent results every time!
Pictures of the rulers I have are shown below:
How these work?
1. Choose some pretty fabric
2. Cut a large square of background as per the instructions and a smaller square of the geese fabric as per the fantastic package instructions. Lay them right sides together with the smaller square on top of the larger square and centre it as best you can.
3. Using a ruler and a pen, draw a line diagonally from corner to corner as shown below:
4. Sew 1/4" out on either side of the line you just marked.
5. Cut on the drawn line as shown below:
6. Press both units towards the background or larger triangle as shown below:
7. Lay both ironed units on top of each other with opposite colours right side together as shown below:
8. Draw another line through the centre as shown below:
9. Sew 1/4" seams on both sides of the drawn line.
10. Cut down the marked line revealing the 2 odd looking blocks below:
11. Lay your flying geese ruler on top of your block aligning the "green V" marked on the ruler (see the ruler below) with the V of the geese fabric (Pebbled fabric). Square your unit with this ruler - you will get 2 flying geese units from each side of the units above making 4 in total. The ruler also allows for your 1/4" seam allowances
Honestly this is so easy with these rulers and just imagine the quilts you can make with flying geese! Some of my work with these rulers are below:
So many options but lets' make a "quilt in a day". Totally doable with this method and Jumbo Sized Flying Geese Ruler! I made the below jumbo geese units in an afternoon!
Where to get these rulers?
Click on the links below:
Stay tuned to see what I actually do with my Jumbo Flying Geese :0)
Have a Great Thursday, I am off to Cookstown today to teach another Quilting with Rulers for Domestic Machines Class! ?
Hi I'm Robin and I am a professional long arm quilter, pattern designer and teacher. I am passionate about all things quilty!
This blog contains affiliate links. This means that we endorse products.
We do receive rewards for these endorsements and this helps to keep this site alive and well.
We support products which we believe are the best quality and to inspire your creativity!